In a post-Macondo world, the role of asset integrity has never been more critical to the global oil and gas business.
Not only can a well-managed asset integrity programme help operators identify and reduce safety risks before they escalate, but focusing on asset integrity can also play a major role in both achieving operational excellence and extending the life of ageing assets.
The asset integrity challenge:
This in itself is nothing new, but if the industry agrees that the benefits of asset integrity are clear, and if it now accepts that it is business-critical, what makes it so difficult, and how can those who are responsible for ensuring asset integrity overcome the inhibitors to achieving lasting integrity success?
Operators agree that the key to being able to achieve success is ensuring that every individual with a stake in asset integrity truly understands the core concepts invovled in effective integrity mangagement and how their actions and decisions can have a decisive impact on a company’s ability to operate safely and efficiently.
The asset integrity solution:
From organisational integrity, through risk management, all the way to corrosion, reliability and integrity implementation, this unique Series of online Training Courses will unlock the keys to truly understanding the fundamentals of asset integrity to everyone with a stake in this business-critical subject.
The five Courses in this Series are equally suited for either (a) new entrants to the business who need to get up to speed on this important area, (b) current practitioners operating across disciplines who need to quickly ensure they are familiar with what may be new concepts, or (c) those who are looking for a primer in some of the fundamental concepts of this key industry focus.
The courses assume no existing knowledge of this subject, this Series of online training courses is perfect for those with a need to get up to speed in the fastest, most effective and most flexible way possible.
- This online Training Series consists of five separately bookable Courses
- Each individual Course consists of six 30-minute webinars
- No prior knowledge of the subject is assumed, ideal for beginners
- Once you register, the webinars are delivered direct to your desktop
- You can view when you want, where you want, as many times as you want
- The Fundamentals of Asset Integrity Management Series is a unique online Training Series made up of five related, but separately bookable Training Courses.
- Each Course is made up of six individual modules which are delivered to registrants in webinar format and can be viewed when you want, where you want.
- You can register for just one Course, or for all five Courses, and view the content as many times as you need for up to a year after you register.
- The Course content is available to access immediately upon registering, and significant early bird discounts are now in effect if you register before the end of the month. Places are limited, so register today to ensure you don’t miss out.
About your courses (click tab for information):
Training Course A: Fundamentals of Organisational Integrity
Organisational integrity represents an ideal place to start this Training Series as it explores the essential building blocks without which no asset integrity strategy can succeed, and the absence of which have themselves been blamed for some of the most significant asset integrity failures of recent years.
This Course, consisting of six individual webinars exclusive to Oil and Gas Fundamentals, will walk you through the essentials of organisational integrity in theory and in practice. It will outline exactly what foundations need to be in place for any integrity strategy to be a success, and share how different companies are applying organisational Integrity practices in their businesses.
- Introducing the asset management framework and system
- The importance of organisational integrity in asset management
- Challenges and solutions in building organisational integrity
- Introduction, methodology, and key terminology
- Risk management in context – the backbone of organisational integrity
- What happens when things go wrong?
- From values to leadership and from culture to behaviour
- Leadership styles required for asset integrity success
- Communication, participation, competencies and skills required
- Stakeholder requirements for organisational integrity
- Integrity in policy and strategy, and in theory and practice
- How asset integrity fits into overall asset management
- Organisational integrity throughout the asset life cycle
- Introducing operational and information integrity
- Responsibilities and authorities in the organisational structure
- Is organisational integrity new? What is the added value of organisational integrity?
- What makes achieving organisational integrity difficult?
- What steps should companies be taking to overcome these challenges?
About your Course leader:
Jos Van der Aelst has more than 25 years of experience in asset management formerly with Renault and ABB focusing on maintenance optimization and asset management. Jos joined Stork Technical Services in 2005 and is leading and implementing several improvement projects for customers in oil & gas, chemicals, power and other industries. As principal consultant he is also trainer and lecturer for different organizations and gives presentations on Asset Management. Jos is also content manager for the training “Stork’s Asset Management” accredited by the Institute of Asset Management (IAM).
About your Course:
Who is it for: This Course is designed for those both inside and outside the industry who have a need to understand the essentials of asset integrity, and want to start with the basics.
How will you benefit: You will understand the essential building blocks of a successful asset integrity strategy, including the culture, people and processes required for success.
Prior knowledge required: This Course is designed to be understood by those with a beginner or intermediate level of understanding of the oil and gas business.
Training Course B: Fundamentals of Asset Integrity Risk Management
Although the risks of major incidents can never be reduced to zero, a systematic risk management process can significantly reduce their likelihood and limit their effects. This Course summarises ways to manage major incident risk throughout the lifecycle of E&P operations, from cradle (concept) to grave (decommissioning).
In the six webinars which make up this Course, your presenter will walk you through the essentials of risk as a concept, and explain the processes and tools that companies are using today to prevent major incidents.
• Understanding the causes of major incidents
• Introducing the ‘Swiss cheese’ and the ‘bowtie’ model of accident causation and barriers
• The asset integrity risk management process
Module 2: Managing integrity throughout the asset lifecycle
• Risk management objectives and approaches from concept to decommissioning
• Inherently safer design and the risk control hierarchy
• Value assurance, tollgate reviews, the safety case and technical risk and safety studies
Module 3: Assessing risk
• Tools and techniques for estimating the likelihood of events
• Tools and techniques for modelling physical effects
• Quantifying and reducing risks as low as reasonably practicable
Module 4: Maintaining effective barriers and human performance
• Engineered barriers and performance standards for barriers
• Assuring the integrity of barriers through maintenance, inspection and testing
• Human factors and assuring competence of technicians, supervisors and managers
Module 5: Monitoring and review
• Key performance indicators (KPI) and facility level KPIs
• Performance standard verification and audit findings
• Management review and process safety leadership as a value
Module 6: Course Clinic: Answering the most frequently asked questions on asset integrity risk management
• What are the biggest challenges in getting it right?
• How can companies justify the time and expense required?
• Can risk ever be reduced to zero?
About your Course leader:
Andy has 25 years’ experience in risk assessment for nuclear, oil and gas and high-hazard industries and focuses on helping oil and gas organisations prevent major incidents. He also teaches on Risktec’s postgraduate education programmes in Risk & Safety Management. Risktec Solutions is a risk management consulting and training company, helping clients to manage risk at all stages of the facility lifecycle.
About your Course:
Who is it for: Anyone involved in – or who wants to understand better – the management of asset integrity, from discipline engineers and operations personnel, to senior managers.
How will you benefit: Once you have completed this Course, you will leave with a deeper understanding of the asset integrity risk management process and strategies used to help prevent major incidents.
Prior knowledge required: The Course content has been exclusively designed to be understood by those at a beginner or intermediate level of understanding of the wider oil and gas business.
Training Course C: Fundamentals of Corrosion Management
Effective corrosion management is a key component of any successful asset integrity management programme. But with a subject as complex and technical as this, it can also be one of the most difficult for newcomers to the subject to understand.
The cost of corrosion is significant, and its impact on asset integrity means that companies have to ensure that corrosion is fully understood and dealt with in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible. This Course will share with you how.
Over the course of six easy to follow webinars, this Fundamentals of Corrosion Management Course will strip away the jargon and the technical barriers to understanding to take you through a beginner’s guide to the essentials of corrosion. The Course will start by explaining what causes it and what the impact of corrosion is and conclude with the basics on how to predict and prevent its occurrence.
• Simplifying a complex subject
• A basic overview of corrosion science and engineering
• Introduction to the major terminology used by corrosion specialists
Module 2: The fundamental causes of corrosion and how it can be controlled
• Understanding corrosive environments
• Atmospheric, underground and liquid corrosion
• The differences between corrosion prevention, management and control
Module 3: The effects of corrosion on various materials
• Understanding the varying properties of materials
• Discovering the effects that corrosion has on these materials
• The implications of corrosion
Module 4: The principles of corrosion control and management
• Design, materials selection and corrosion management
• Modification of environment to play in corrosion inhibitors
• Protective coatings and corrosion control
Module 5: The economics of corrosion control
• Design considerations and competing priorities
• Choice of materials and capital expenditure based on long term cost
• Time value of money and operating expenditure economics
Module 6: Course Clinic: Answering the most frequently asked questions on corrosion management
• What is the biggest challenge in getting corrosion control right?
• What competing priorities make corrosion control a problem?
• Why is the cost of corrosion a problem if oil companies report record profits?
About your Course leader:
Paul Rostron is a recognised corrosion expert and NACE board member who has been involved in corrosion research and teaching for more than 17 years. He is currently Professor of Chemistry and Director of Research at the Corrosion Research Laboratory at the Petroleum Institute, a learning centre in Abu Dhabi, UAE jointly funded by ADNOC, Total, Shell, JODCO and BP.
About your Course:
Who is it for: Since corrosion affects so many parts of the oil and gas industry, the Course is ideal for anyone operating in the business who needs to discover the basics of corrosion management.
How will you benefit: Upon completion of the Course, you will understand the basic elements of corrosion, including understanding why it occurs, and how it can be managed.
Prior knowledge required: No prior knowledge on corrosion is required as this Course has been designed to be understood by both beginners and intermediates.
Training Course D: Fundamentals of Reliability Centred Maintenance
Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) is a key process used by oil and gas operators to ensure that the assets they are responsible for are able to operate in the way that their users intend for an extended period of time. As such, it is a process intrinsically linked with Asset Integrity Management.
In exploring the history of, background to, and practical application of RCM, you will discover how and why it is used, what the objectives of those using the process are, and how this process allows owners and operators to achieve the twin outcomes of ensuring asset reliability and avoiding asset failure.
This exclusive Course, broken down for you into six separate webinars, will introduce you to the essentials of RCM and, in the process, allow you to also learn about the related concept of Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA). You will leave with a working knowledge of both concepts, and how they are applied in today’s oil and gas industry for success.
• What is failure? How things fail and why they fail
• Identifying suitable targets for RCM and FMEA
• Talking the right language, understanding the jargon of RCM and FMEA
Module 2: Introducing and using the tools of RCM and FMEA in practice
• Brainstorming techniques to reduce the time required for FMEA and RCM
• Applying the technique of “Why analysis”
• Introducing the concepts of cause and effect
Module 3: Desired outcome, identifying, reviewing and assuring
• Determining desired outcome based on type of maintenance task
• Frequency that task is performed and correlation to desired outcome
• Skill level required to achieve desired outcome
Module 4: A stepped-approach to FMEA/RCM application
• Creating records and reference tables
• Walking through a worked example
• Checking the outputs against the desired outcome
Module 5: Practical applications of RCM and FMEA as part of a wider integrity programme
• How RCM and FMEA fit within a wider asset integrity programme
• How are oil and gas companies applying these techniques?
• Case studies and their outcomes
Module 6: Course Clinic: Answering the most frequently asked questions on RCM and FMEA
• Are these techniques being used by all companies? If not, why not?
• What alternatives to RCM and FMEA exist and why are they different?
• What are the biggest challenges to success when it comes to RCM and FMEA?
About your Course leader:
Colin is able to share the experience of more than 30 years in the world of maintenance management, focused especially on advanced methodologies such as RCM and FMEA. His extensive work in the oil and gas industry includes consulting on projects for the likes of BP, Shell, Expro and ADGAS, and he is also able to share lessons learned from projects in the Aviation, Utilities and Defence sectors.
About your Course:
Who is it for: Suitable for all disciplines either currently in, or new to the oil and gas business, this Course is ideal for those who need to understand this key asset integrity management strategy.
How will you benefit: Once you have completed the Course, you will be armed with a working knowledge of the basic terminology, the key concepts and the practical applications of RCM.
Prior knowledge required: No prior knowledge is assumed and this Course is suitable for both beginners looking to get to grips with the subject, and intermediates looking for a refresher.
Training Course E: Fundamentals of Asset Integrity Implementation
Among the biggest challenge in delivering a successful integrity management programme is the effective implementation of an integrity strategy. Turning theory into reality is a significant challenge but companies are achieving success and this training Course will demonstrate how.
Implementing an asset integrity management strategy involves prioritizing activities for optimum risk management, defining efficient execution tactics, working within resource and logistics constraints and developing a realistic implementation plan to ensure targeted objectives concerning people, process and plant are successfully met in a safe and consistent manner.
This Asset Integrity Implementation Course, which is made up of six unique webinars developed by Velosi Asset Integrity for Oil and Gas Fundamentals, will walk you through a step by step guide to understanding what the main obstacles are to successful strategy implementation, and to understanding how companies are able to overcome them to achieve integrity management success.
• Inputs and Limitations – business objectives, regulatory requirements, company and industry standards, scope of assets
• Setting Integrity Objectives – defining integrity management success, establishing high-level key-performance indicators, understanding resource and other constraints
• Execution Plan – defining main activities, assigning accountabilities, developing a schedule, implementing a monitoring / audit and corrective action scheme
Module 2: Overcoming people challenges in integrity implementation
• Leadership – demonstrating commitment, defining senior level accountabilities, including integrity objectives in the business plan, budgeting monies and production impacts, regular plan reviews
• Human Resources – defining main accountabilities, ensuring adequate staffing, defining support requirements (e.g., logistics, supply-chain, safety management, etc.)
• Competency – understanding integrity critical positions, establishing required skills / experiences, gap assessments, closure plans and verification
Module 3: Overcoming process challenges in integrity implementation
• Practices and Procedures – regulatory requirements, company / industry standards, documentation systems, operating and maintenance procedures
• Management of Change (MOC) – defining when needed, developing a process and required approvals, socializing, implementing and audit
• Emergency Response – defining scenarios from hazard / risk analyses, developing response plans, contingency plans, drill requirements and continuous improvement
• Performance Management – defining key-performance indicators (KPIs), developing a monitoring scheme, KPI review requirements, audit and corrective action scheme
Module 4: Overcoming plant challenges in integrity implementation
• Facilities Integrity – integrity management plans for main equipment types (wells, pressure systems, structures, pipelines, etc.), tie into electronic maintenance management system, online versus turn-around work
• Facilities Integrity – risk-based inspection, corrosion control and monitoring, anomaly processing, fitness-for-service analysis
• Protective Systems – SIL and LOPA analysis, aligning to hazard / risk analysis results, developing a testing program, corrective maintenance, system inhibits
Module 5: Summary: Integrating integrity management into the business and key solutions to achieving integrity implementation success
• Coordination – reservoir, drilling, operations, safety, logistics, supply-chain, etc.; over-coming work silos
• Integrated Field Planning – establishing long, mid-term, short and daily integrated plans, monitoring progress, establishing and using change protocols
• Integrity Culture – building integrity awareness at all levels, recognizing contributors, celebrating successes
Module 6: Course Clinic: Answering the most frequently asked questions on integrity implementation
• Where and why do most integrity implementation strategies fail?
• What can companies do to avoid this happening?
• What is the secret to delivering a culture of integrity awareness from top to bottom?
About your Course leader:
Stephen brings 30 years of BP / Amoco experience in asset integrity having previously served in various integrity management leadership roles at major oil and gas production sites on five continents. Stephen currently works for Velosi Asset Integrity who provide asset integrity management services to major oil and gas players including the likes of BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, ADNOC, PETRONAS, Petrobras, ONGC, and Chevron.
About your Course:
Who is it for: Ideal for both newcomers to the business, and existing industry players but who need to understand the challenges and solutions involved in implementing an integrity programme.
How will you benefit: Taking part in this Course will allow you to understand how companies are turning asset integrity theory into reality in the oil and gas business today.
Prior knowledge required: The content contained within these modules will be understood by those with either a beginner or an intermediate level of understanding of oil and gas.
Remember, you can book on any one of these courses – or all of them – and all course content is live now. Early Bird discounts are only in effect for a strictly limited time (see here for more details), and places are limited, so register today to take advantage of the most flexible learning experience you will find.
About your Course leaders:
As a key part of this unique asset integrity resource, Stork Asset Management Consultancy has extensive knowledge and experience of all aspects of the asset life cycle. With safety always as our over-riding priority, we deliver innovative solutions to difficult and challenging asset management issues worldwide.
We are the specialist partner in asset management and maintenance management. With our breadth of knowledge and experience, we will help you to optimize the performance of your assets, minimize the associated risks, and support you to achieve your ambitions for operational excellence.
You are invited to visit our www.storktechnicalservices.com to find out more about our service portfolio
THE VELOSI GROUP, founded in 1982 and joined with APPLUS in 2010, provides Asset Integrity, Health, Safety and Environment (HSE), Quality Assurance, Quality Control and Engineering services to a number of leading national and multinational oil and gas companies, including BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, ADNOC, PETRONAS,Petrobras, ONGC, and Chevron.
The Velosi Group operates globally through five regional headquarters in the USA, the UK, Malaysia, South Africa, and the UAE and has 70 offices in 40 countries worldwide.
One of the strengths of our approach is that we offer a truly global service while still being able to meet local needs. Velosi is able to achieve this because we operate in all the world’s major markets, both established and emerging.
This makes it easy to tap into our network from your local office and receive the high level of service you need. www.velosi.com
RISKTEC SOLUTIONS is an established, independent and specialist risk management consulting and training company, and is wholly owned by its employees. We assist clients in major hazard industries to manage health, safety, security, environmental and business risk.
Risktec has offices in key locations in the UK, Middle East and North America. Our activities are supported by a comprehensive network of local representatives in other regions around the world. Our intention is to be close to our clients, and in this way, we have delivered over 1800 projects to over 580 clients in over 40 countries.
Risktec’s approach recognises that controlling risk requires understanding engineered and technological systems, management systems and organisational factors, as well as leadership, cultural and behavioural issues. We actively share the knowledge that underpins our consulting services, by offering structured postgraduate education programmes leading to University qualifications, as well as more flexible training solutions which can be tailored as needed.
THE PETROLEUM INSTITUTE (PI) was created in 2001 with the goal of establishing itself as a world-class institution in engineering education and research in areas of significance to the oil and gas and the broader energy industries. The PI’s sponsors and affiliates include Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and four major international oil companies. The campus has modern instructional laboratories and classroom facilities and is planning a major research center on its campus in Sas Al Nakhl, Abu Dhabi.
Currently the PI offers Bachelor degrees in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical and Petroleum Engineering, Metallurgical and Polymer Science & Engineering and Petroleum Geosciences; Master of Engineering degrees in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical and Petroleum Engineering and Master of Science degrees in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical and Petroleum Engineering and Petroleum Geosciences. These programs are open to both male and female students.
COLIN SANDERS ASSOCIATES specialises in risk management strategies, advanced methodologies such as RCM, FMEA and FCA, best practice auditing, and the improvement of supporting processes and systems. Since its establishment 12 years ago, the company continues to help its clients understand, develop and improve the people, plant and process issues within their businesses.
CSA undertakes work independently and on an associate basis with a range of respected specialist companies, and projects have included Management and Maintenance Auditing and improvement strategies, Management and Maintenance Strategy Review and improvement, Workflow improvement, Criticality Analysis, Spares optimisation, RCM, FMEA, CBM, CM implementation, training and mentoring, Compilation of Planned Maintenance Routines, Management systems, Process Mapping and evaluation.
The majority of projects have been undertaken with internationally recognised clients that include: BP, Shell UK, Johnson & Johnson, Glanbia, Goldstar Foods, Expro UK, ADGAS, Severn Trent Water, Anglian Water, CandC Ltd (Bulmers), Diageo, MoD. Colin’s background ensures a common sense practicality in the implementation, facilitation and application of maintenance methodologies.
Your Continuing Professional Development
By registering for – and completing – the full Fundamentals of Asset Integrity online Training Series, you will qualify for a Certificate of Professional Development to help further your career development. More details on how an Oil and Gas Fundamentals course can be used to further your career can be found by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, register today and start learning straight away.